I just had my best period in years! Sounds crazy doesn't it? But, I can explain. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis while going through infertility treatments a few years back. I suffered from crippling periods since my early 20s. The pain was so bad at times it made me nauseous. I also had severe pain in my legs for one to two days during my period. I never got a good night's sleep either because the pain always intensified when I would lay down.

I know having a great period doesn't make much sense. However, if you suffer from Endometriosis then having a less painful period is something to celebrate! This last period must have felt like a "normal" one. I had a little discomfort, but no feeling of nausea and I was able to sleep just fine.

I am so excited to share what I learned. There is a link between painful periods and wheat. I took wheat (more like gluten) out of my diet and it has made all the difference in the world. There may also be a link between wheat triggering Endometriosis and causing "unexplained" infertility.

Here is what I discovered:

I never knew a nutrient deficiency can be one of the many triggers of Endometriosis. "One of the immune system's jobs is to break down implants [uterine lining that has shed] that form after each menstruation. To function properly the immune system needs a range of nutrients, including selenium, iron, zinc, magnesium and all the vitamins," explains Dian Shepperson Mills, Director of The Endometriosis and Fertility Clinic in London. She further notes, "a lack of both vitamins C and E makes the pain more severe - these vitamins also help reduce inflammation."

Ms. Mills feels the genetically re-engineered wheat can cause a lot of damage to the human body. She states, ".. all wheat is a problem... I think [it] may be the hormones in the wheat or the phytic acid is locking up some of the minerals but certainly there seems to be some modality with wheat and Endometriosis. It's almost as though something within wheat is exacerbating the implant." I think she is definitely onto something here but I wonder if the explanation is Celiac Disease and not just wheat.

Celiac Disease is an allergy to gluten (which is a protein found in all wheat products and many other products). If you have Celiac Disease and consume gluten, you will damage your small intestine by flattening the cells on the surface. These cells, called villi, are responsible for the absorption of nutrients. Once these cells are flattened and damaged, your body cannot properly absorb the nutrients in the food you are eating. Therefore, if you have Celiac Disease and your immune system is nutrient deficient it may not able to break down the shedding of your uterine lining properly.

Ms. Mills claims 80% of her patients notice their pain subsides and that it increased their chances to conceive when they went on a gluten-free diet. Even though this is a high percentage of her patients, this obviously doesn't work for everyone but I do hope further studies are conducted.

I suffered for so many years and not one doctor brought up Celiac Disease. It turns out my Dad was recently diagnosed with this. 1 in 133 people have it but only 3% are diagnosed. It is highly genetic too. I changed my diet and now live pain-free! If you have Celiac Disease and go on a gluten-free diet, your intestine can repair itself and heal.

I am no doctor, but I am proof that taking gluten out of your diet may help alleviate pain caused by Endometriosis (and this may only be the case if you have Celiac Disease). The diet is not easy to get used to but after a month or two, it is a piece of gluten-free cake. Just take cooking back to the era of your great-grandmother. My family now eats meat, veggies and potatoes / rice. We do not eat any processed food at all. We basically eat what Mother Nature intended us to eat. Another great side effect is that I have lost weight!

Don't take my word for it, do your own research. I just wanted you to be informed and to ask you to educate yourself if you have Endometriosis or are struggling with unexplained infertility. In studies, it appears 4% to 8% of women with unexplained infertility have Celiac Disease. Some women, with this disease, were able to change their diet and finally conceive. Please note, I said "some." I don't want you to think this is a cure-all. It is a small percentage, but if you fit into this percentage it is life-changing!

You can find out if you have this disease by a simple blood test. It's worth a shot in looking into. You can learn more about Celiac Disease and the signs/symptoms by visiting www.celiac.org.

As always, keep an open mind and educate yourself.

Alicia Preston
Friend In Reach
http://friendinreach.blogspot.com
Friend In Reach is a blog written by three women who desire to educated and motivate other women. You may laugh and you may cry but most of all, know you are not alone.